Should I Vacation While I Job Search?
This is a question that frequently comes up during employment transition discussions from clients, colleagues, friends and family.
My answer is always ABSOLUTELY and here is why:
1. Rest, Relaxation and Revitalization are imperative to energize your transition into your next job.
2. Expansion of Your Network happens whenever you meet new people, in new places. Connect while you play!
3. A Change is as Good as a Rest, is a saying that never leaves us, from generation to generation because it is true. Get out of your regular surroundings no matter how nice your home, town or city is and refuel yourself with Change.
4. You Don’t N$$d Money to vacation. Yes, I am spoiled living in Collingwood, Ontario. A ten minute drive and I am at the shores of the world's longest freshwater beach, top of the mountain or walking in the woods. No matter where you live, pack a picnic, get some fresh air and embrace a day of pleasure in nature. It could be a city park, playground or community venue. Just treat yourself to time!
5. Realign your positive thinking with a break from the daily habits of job search. Sitting back and reflecting will let you see from a different perspective, what is working and what needs work, when finding work.
6. No One to Play With. Think you have no one to vacation with? You'd be surprised. Call a past co-worker, committee member or classmate for a different daily connection during your vacation.
7. Vacation as a Volunteer for a community project that lets you pay it forward, share it forward and say it forward. It could be a kid’s camp, Habitat for Humanity, or landscaping a community trail. The possibilities are endless!
8. Embrace Mindfulness during your time off. Focus on one activity at a time for pure enjoyment.
9. Check your voice and email. Yes, this you should do, but not constantly. Mid-morning and mid-afternoon is all that is necessary. If you receive email alerts for new postings, leave them until you return, or block off time on Tuesday and Thursday mornings to apply. Then apply sunscreen and head out.
10. You deserve it. We all need vacation time whether we are working at a job or working at finding a job. Treat yourself and your family well.
Give yourself permission to embrace vacation time and you will reap the benefits of it!
Call me and we will get to work, at getting you to work!